Friday, October 16, 2009

My style | What kind of Photographer is Mic?

These photos were taken over a year ago. The first girl shown is Courtney, she was my first High School Senior client and the couple shown below her are Kellie and Zach, they were my very first clients. At this point in time, I hadn't really "given up" on photography but it was more of a hobby and I hadn't really thought of turning it into a business. I was still using Auto Mode on my Canon XSi and knew nothing about Manual or that it even existed.





I was asked by a woman on a photography forum I am a part of the following questions and was asked to blog about it. My fellow photographers have already done so, so I'm a little bit behind but here goes.


Have you found your "style"?

I can't really say I have a certain style but I do love candid photos. Most of my photo shoots may look posed but when I'm taking the photos, I don't direct them to do anything. I just let them do what they do and I mostly let them pose how they want so that their photos turn out the way they want them to. I love being able to take my camera and freeze time with a simple snap... I want my clients to feel that they can take a photo that I took and remember the exact moment that it was taken. How they felt and what that photograph was taken for.

When it comes to editing, I love my photos to be in color. Of course, every photographer loves black and whites but I am a fool for colors. Vivid, bright and beautiful.


What do you love photographing?

I used to be in love with photographing nature. Which I still love to do but as the time has passed I have fallen in love with photographing people. Couples to be specific. There's something about showing emotion through a photograph that I just love and the emotion I love to capture is true love.


What photographers do you follow, admire, look to for inspirations?

Michelle Black is a famous photographer in our town. Almost everyone has heard of her and she really is an amazing photographer. I really do look up to her. Her photographs show exactly what I want mine to show one day.

I do love everyone's work that is in the forum I am on but I especially love Heidi Roberts, Amy McMaster, Cheryle and Shannon's work. They're all amazing and capture beautiful memories.

Where do you want to be in one year as a photographer? Five years?

A year from now, I hope to be half way through my Bachelor's degree at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh's Online Division and to know twice as much, technical wise, as I do now about my camera and what it's capable of. I also hope to have the eye that I'm hoping for into making my photos show the type of emotion my clients are looking for.

In five years, I hope to be in the process of or already have opened my own personal studio. That's my real dream.

The photos below were taken during some of my most recent sessions (as are the photos below in other blog entries.) These were all taken in Manual mode which now I love and hardly ever stop using.






*All photos are SOOC (straight out of camera) so you can actually see the progress I have made over the past year.

I still have a lot to learn but I am more than willing to be patient as time goes on.

Thank you for stopping by and learning more about myself as a photographer.


-Mrs. Nichelson ♥

2 comments:

Cheryle said...

I always love your pictures and now I know why, I also love bright, vivid and beautiful colors!!

I feel honoured that you included me in your list of photographers that you admire. Thank you (it actually brought tears to my eyes because I had never thought of me that way before).

You've made great progress (although I also really like the pictures you made a year ago!) Hopefully I'll be able to progress like you!

Mommy Blogger said...

Wow! I loved reading your answers, and seeing your pictures. I loved the pictures you took a year ago, and I really love the pictures you took recently. You are a great photographer :)